WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
New10.
2004-10-03 17:32:27 UTC
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?

By New10

When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on looking
for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the entire
burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do we want to
be children all our lives?

"I admire human beings who are no-evasive and who
have a sense of their own identity, and I regard an understanding of myself
as something to be prized for its own sake. I do not need a deity to support
this appreciation or give it value"

Kai Nielsen, Professor of Philosophy
New10.
duke
2004-10-03 21:01:08 UTC
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass?
Save it from what?
Post by New10.
Is it not infantile to go on looking
for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the entire
burden of decision from us?
Christianity certainly doesn't do that.
Post by New10.
Children follow rules blindly, but do we want to
be children all our lives?
If it gets me to sharing in the glory of God for all eternity, absolutely yes.

But you don't know what I'm talking about.

duke
*****
Matthew 22
14"For many are invited, but few are chosen."
*****
New10.
2004-10-10 20:11:39 UTC
Post by duke
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
If it gets me to sharing in the glory of God for all eternity, absolutely yes.
But you don't know what I'm talking about.
I know too well, what you are saying. You sound like a schizophrenic

Schizophrenia and Christian Fundamentalism
By New10
This is a Definition of Schizophrenia and some of its symptoms.
Schizophrenia bears an uncanny resemblance to 'Christian fundamentalism'.
These are not my own definitions; They are snipped from recognized medical
sites and medical encyclopedia.

Definition
Any of a group of psychotic disorders usually characterized by
withdrawal from reality, illogical patterns of thinking, delusions, and
hallucinations, and accompanied in varying degrees by other emotional,
behavioral, or intellectual disturbances. Schizophrenia is associated with
dopamine imbalances in the brain and defects of the frontal lobe and is
caused by genetic, other biological, and psychosocial factors.

Symptoms
Delusions
Delusions are false beliefs that are deeply entrenched and
clearly not based in reality and are not consistent with cultural beliefs or
the persons' level of intelligence and life experiences. Persons cling to
these believes even after the believes are shown to be false.

These false beliefs may be very difficult for family or friends
to understand, since they do not make sense. Again, a delusion seems as real
to the person as a belief grounded in reality.

Specific Delusions
Bizarre delusions are hallucinations consisting of two or more
voices conversing with each other or of a single voice affecting a person's
behaviors or thoughts.
. Unworthy Said: - "How do I know God has said anything? I have
heard him speak in an audible voice".
. Phoenix said: - "As I was going about my daily task, the Lord
spoke to me...."
Hallucinations
People with schizophrenia may experience hallucinations. That
is, they may hear, see, feel or smell things that are not there. Just as in
a dream, where fantastic events can not be distinguished from real events,
hallucinations can not be distinguished from real events. Thus, the
hallucination of a voice talking is perceived in the brain just like a real
person talking.

Discussions about their objective truth or plausibility of the
hallucinations are not valuable. The experience is true and very vivid to
the patient and has to be accepted as such. Attempts to "set the person
straight" result in resistance, tension, and bad feelings.

Hallucinations are false perceptions or unreal apparitions. They
do not correspond to the stimuli that is present and have no basis in
reality. You have to remember that what is an hallucination in one culture,
is not in another.

'Ray of light' believes he can fly around outside of his
physical body.

disorganized speech or behavior
A person with schizophrenia may have disorganized speech or
behavior; so that what they do or say does not make much sense.

Read any post made by 'Young'.

Preoccupations
These are fixed ideas, not necessarily false (like delusions)
but overvalued. That means they take on extraordinary importance and take up
an inordinate amount of thought time.

One idea often returns and returns. Frequently it is a worry
about doing the right thing or doing it well or doing it in time.
Characteristically, the worry grows and becomes unrealistic. A common
sequence of events is for the worry to take up so much of a person's time
that the "right thing" does not get done and its not being done is then
attributed to the bad motives of others. Or it may be rationalized as God's
wish.

These kinds of explanations sound odd to others but to the
patient they seem warranted. He does not understand why others see them
merely as "excuses." To him they explain the facts better than any other
explanation he can think of.

Sometimes these preoccupations have a mystifying character to
them. They seem to require puzzling over and decoding. The schizophrenic
patient spends much time in this kind of activity and that is why he thinks
he has solved mysteries that others haven't, since they have spent no time
at it.

Denial of illness
Some individuals are able to admit to themselves that they could
ever be deficient or vulnerable in any way. Most illnesses that start in
late adolescence tend to be denied because adolescence is a time when
deficiencies are hard to accept. The problem of illness denial is that it
makes treatment impossible. This is true of all illnesses that require
treatment and is not specific for schizophrenia. Since lack of treatment in
schizophrenia can have serious consequences, families need to be especially
firm about this.

Schizophrenic Symptoms are continuous and persistent

Secondary symptoms (Mechanisms patients may develop to cope with
fundamental symptoms).

Hallucinations, Paranoid ideation, Grandiosity. argumentative,
Superiority complex, inappropriate laughter.

This describes chic-n-little perfectly. chic even types
"*laughin*" at the end of many sentences regardless of the absence of humor.
***@socal.rr.com
Ike
2004-10-04 00:49:12 UTC
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass?
As soon as he saves our ass.

Post by New10.
for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the entire
burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do we want to
be children all our lives?
Freedom of thought entails no "Intellectual Property".
j w <john_w@yahoo.com>
2004-10-04 21:19:46 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:32:27 GMT, "New10." <***@socal.rr.com>
wrote:
copyright 2004 John Weatherly all rights reserved (keep it in the
group)
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on looking
for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the entire
burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do we want to
be children all our lives?
When are you atheists going to grow up and stop attempting to impose
your non-belief upon we who believe?

We will happily leave you alone if you will do the same for us.

And if you are tired of our spam in here, don't read it; be the
adults.

Your obsessive/compulsive need to have the final word is not called
"mature", "healthy", or "adult."

Try applying your words to your life first!

jw
Post by New10.
"I admire human beings who are no-evasive and who
have a sense of their own identity, and I regard an understanding of myself
as something to be prized for its own sake. I do not need a deity to support
this appreciation or give it value"
Kai Nielsen, Professor of Philosophy
God bless!

j w
Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-04 22:34:27 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on
looking for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the
entire burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do
we want to be children all our lives?
When are you atheists going to grow up and stop attempting to impose your
non-belief upon we who believe?
We will happily leave you alone if you will do the same for us.
Liar. You nym shift like crazy to get past peoples' killfiles. Even people
who *try to leave you alone you won't *let them.
--
Mark K. Bilbo - a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion
-- Douglas Adams
j w <john_w@yahoo.com>
2004-10-07 10:39:48 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:19:46 -0700 in episode
x-no-archive: yes
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on
looking for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the
entire burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do
we want to be children all our lives?
When are you atheists going to grow up and stop attempting to impose your
non-belief upon we who believe?
We will happily leave you alone if you will do the same for us.
Liar.
I am not a liar, moron.

You nym shift like crazy to get past peoples' killfiles.

Oh! So you're reading minds! You could sell that talent!

No, numb nuts, I do not "shift sigs" like crazy. It so happens that
my last computer crashed on average weekly. And each time I set it up,
I forget the EXACT sig I used the previous time.

I have NO interest in getting past your kill file.

It is up to you to curb your obsessive/compulsive need to read my very
offensive posts.

You're one of the mindless dweebs I was referring to when I said your
compulsion to read posts from Christians it neither mature nor adult.

jw

Even people
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
who *try to leave you alone you won't *let them.
Nonsense. When is the last time I messed with you? Must be SEVERAL
weeks.

By the above comment, you indeed prove that YOU are the liar. There
was NO need for you to respond to my post. Other than your obsessions.

jw

God bless!

j w
walksalone
2004-10-07 11:11:26 UTC
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:39:48 -0700, j w struck a manly pose, & in his
confusion as to whether to cock a leg or play the injured innocent stained
his trousers.
Followup set to droll trolls's home captive group, the Baptist one.
From: j w <"john_w<no">
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,alt.christian,alt.christnet.christianlife,alt.lifestyle.freethinkers,alt.religion.christian.20-something,alt.religion.christian.adventist,alt.religion.christian.baptist
Subject: Re: WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:39:48 -0700
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:19:46 -0700 in episode
x-no-archive: yes
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on
looking for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the
entire burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do
we want to be children all our lives?
When are you atheists going to grow up and stop attempting to impose your
non-belief upon we who believe?
We will happily leave you alone if you will do the same for us.
Liar.
I am not a liar, moron.
But you are, a cross posting liar at that. You lie so frequently & with
such consistency that it is probable you don't even have the capacity to
notice it.
You nym shift like crazy to get past peoples' killfiles.
Oh! So you're reading minds! You could sell that talent!
No, but he is not far wrong. You are subject to post under what ever name
amuses you at the moment, from jay west, luke, Doctor Luke, or various
other means of evading killfiles.
No, numb nuts, I do not "shift sigs" like crazy. It so happens that
But you do scuzzy. You do. You se, most people prefer that others know who
they are, so pretty much stay with one name. I've used mine since 95. But
there are those, like you, that know they are going to be killfiled, so
they use several names.
my last computer crashed on average weekly. And each time I set it up,
I forget the EXACT sig I used the previous time
.
Right, between computer crashes & incompetence its a miracle you can post
at all. But then, its a miracle in the truest sense of the word that you
have not self imploded with your apparent vacuum loaded cranial cavity.
I have NO interest in getting past your kill file.
Then stick with one name, it would be the honest thing to do. Or does that
only apply to others?
It is up to you to curb your obsessive/compulsive need to read my very
offensive posts.
No, it is not, but is is up to you to accept responsibility for your posts.
A trait you avoid faster than you avoid the truth when you don't want to
hear it.
You're one of the mindless dweebs I was referring to when I said your
compulsion to read posts from Christians it neither mature nor adult.
When it comes to the mindless, there is no doubt you are the leader of the
band jw. It could be said to be your greatest strength.
jw
Even people
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
who *try to leave you alone you won't *let them.
Nonsense. When is the last time I messed with you? Must be SEVERAL
weeks.
Once a century is excessive. but then, you managed to finally get booted
from qwest, so what can be said.
By the above comment, you indeed prove that YOU are the liar. There
was NO need for you to respond to my post. Other than your obsessions.
No, you are the liar jw. Whether there is a need or not, form your pov or
anyone else's is quite beside the point. The man pointed out your inherent
dishonesty & nasty habits. No more, no less.
After all, you have earned the title of lair John in your home group, well,
your claim for it being your home group anyway.
jw
God bless!
That would be Satan then?
j w
walksalone who notes that jw can't help it, just ask him.
Be sure to have a tissue ready though, it is one hell of a sob story.
--
The Hadith Qudsi 6

The first of people against whom judgment will be pronounced on the Day of
Resurrection will be a man who died a martyr. He will be brought and Allah
will make known to him His favours and he will recognize them.

The Almighty will say: And what did you do about them? He will say: I
fought for you until I died a martyr. He will say: You have lied - you did
but fight that it might be said [of you]: He is courageous. And so it was
said.

Then he will be ordered to be dragged along on his face until he is cast
into Hell-fire.
Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-08 00:18:45 UTC
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:19:46 -0700 in episode
x-no-archive: yes
Post by New10.
[...]
Sig? You dumbfuck.
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
who *try to leave you alone you won't *let them.
Nonsense. When is the last time I messed with you? Must be SEVERAL weeks.
By the above comment, you indeed prove that YOU are the liar. There was
NO need for you to respond to my post. Other than your obsessions.
No, you are liar. You nym shift constantly. I don't care what lame excuse
you have for your compulsive lying. I'm not interested.

And look who's talking. You bitch about people not leaving you "alone" but
you post *here. Nobody made you post to alt.atheism.

Now, fuck off.
-- Douglas Adams
j w <john_w@yahoo.com>
2004-10-08 03:56:13 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:19:46 -0700 in episode
x-no-archive: yes
Post by New10.
[...]
Yadadadadada.

And when you use such obscene language, you don't need any
conversation with me. Come back with some respect, and we'll talk,
numbnuts.
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
who *try to leave you alone you won't *let them.
Nonsense. When is the last time I messed with you? Must be SEVERAL weeks.
By the above comment, you indeed prove that YOU are the liar. There was
NO need for you to respond to my post. Other than your obsessions.
No, you are liar. You nym shift constantly. I don't care what lame excuse
you have for your compulsive lying. I'm not interested.
And look who's talking. You bitch about people not leaving you "alone" but
you post *here. Nobody made you post to alt.atheism.
This tripe was cross-posted to my group. I have NO idea what group YOU
are in, since the list goes off the screen in my window.

bye bye, numbnuts.

jw
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
Now, fuck off.
God bless!

j w
walksalone
2004-10-05 00:23:08 UTC
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:19:46 -0700, j w in an attempt to curry favor with a
new audience cocked his leg to let go, & fell over. He had enough spite to
squeak out the following. I have enough mercy to set the followups to the
trolls home group, the Baptist one in case you are wondering which one to
avoid.
From: j w <"john_w<no">
Newsgroups: alt.atheism,alt.christian,alt.christnet.christianlife,alt.lifestyle.freethinkers,alt.religion.christian.20-something,alt.religion.christian.adventist,alt.religion.christian.baptist
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:19:46 -0700
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on looking
for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the entire
burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do we want to
be children all our lives?
When are you atheists going to grow up and stop attempting to impose
your non-belief upon we who believe?
Probably after the last imitation xian quits trying to impose their false
myth on the world. Why, you don't have to read his posts, I don't.
We will happily leave you alone if you will do the same for us.
No you won't, just today you crossposted to an atheist group. look for the
RTS header, its coming back to you.
And if you are tired of our spam in here, don't read it; be the
adults.
No on is tired of your spam jw, it is all you can write. Instead, there is
a rather a feeling of sorrow, so much potential rotted by its fears of
death & inability to live a good life here & now.
Your obsessive/compulsive need to have the final word is not called
"mature", "healthy", or "adult."
& being it is a trade mark of yours, one supposes xian?
Try applying your words to your life first!
Try following your non-existent hero's claimed words & shake the dust from
your feet. Its not as if any atheist would pay serious attention to your
pretensions, or claimed but missing knowledge about you myth.
But that does ot stop you from lifting your skirt & whizzing on carpets
around the usenet now does it.
jw
john the whiner today then, very good. I suppose that is better than being
a jake, at least john's are inside.

snip

It called leading by example jw, & even you can do it.
Now, as to whether anyone would want to follow you, there is the rub.
Probably not.
God bless!
Well, yes, I suppose you would use the word god instead of Asmodeus,
jezebeth.
j w
walksalone who is uncertain, does one address a demon in disguise by its
name, as in this case jezebeth, or is it Mr. demon[ess]

into Hell-fire.
New10.
2004-10-11 04:53:08 UTC
Just how does one go around imposing non-belief on someone?
voj
2004-10-11 13:49:17 UTC
It's apparently easy when one's religion is to be an Anti-Theist.
walksalone
2004-10-11 23:10:36 UTC
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 06:49:17 -0700, voj wrote:
Follow up set to troll's that responded to a troll home group.
Yup, the Baptist one, how lucky they are, no?
Post by voj
Post by New10.
Post by j w <***@yahoo.com>
When are you atheists going to grow up and stop attempting to impose
your non-belief upon we who believe?
Just how does one go around imposing non-belief on someone?
It's apparently easy when one's religion is to be an Anti-Theist.
What, a follower of one of the revealed desert gods then? Hell Vern,
everyone already knows that, & you provide the evidence.

walksalone who is not surprised Vern on a tear again, it appears to be
cyclic.
--
ACCUSE, v.t. To affirm another's guilt or unworth; most
commonly as a justification of ourselves for having wronged
him. Devils dictionary
bob young
2004-10-04 05:11:33 UTC
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on looking
for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the entire
burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do we want to
be children all our lives?
That a huge proportion of humans are deeply superstitious plays havoc with the
common belief that human beings have achieved advancement!
s***@the.net
2004-10-05 02:23:10 UTC
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
Never.

[]

**

Contempt of Congress meter reading-offscale.

Vote for Bush. Why vote for the lesser of two evils?

'Jesus' is a sock-puppet Christians utilize to add 'authority' to
whatever action they intend on taking. -Stoney
coboldragon
2004-10-08 03:15:52 UTC
Post by s***@the.net
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
Never.
[]
**
Contempt of Congress meter reading-offscale.
Vote for Bush. Why vote for the lesser of two evils?
'Jesus' is a sock-puppet Christians utilize to add 'authority' to
whatever action they intend on taking. -Stoney
I am quite appalled that either group here, christians or athiests would
argue about such trifling differences as wether God or Jesus are responsible
for the way we behave. Humans and other sub-species (the people to entranced
with their own self superiority to realize that it doesn't matter) are
completely in control of their own faculties and RESPONSIBLE for their own
actions. The primary difference is that if you choose to live an honorable,
good, non-destructive life as an atheist, the only reward is a feeling of a
job well done. As a christian I live my live in a correct, honorable, and
adult way both to honor that which i believe as well as myself . I will not
fear death as an end, but i also will not fear the rath of other humans
because in all cases i have done what is right. By the way right is not
defined strictly by the law or by the precepts of any god. Right and Wrong
are universal concepts and are irrelevent of any theology. Simply agreeing
with a theology does not mean that Right adheres to that theology. All
theologies including atheism are inherently flawed due to the barrier of
communication between human minds required to express that theology. No 2
Christians are exactly the same in thier belief and niether are there 2
athiests who would not find a single diffeence in their belief if both could
possibly use the same meaning for the same words.

All words are but pictures made of sound the description of each is personal
and constructed by each individual and therefore seperate even among those
who speak the same dialect.

I submit that this arguement of which theology is right is inane and moot.
why continue it.

RJB
s***@the.net
2004-10-08 18:03:16 UTC
Post by coboldragon
Post by s***@the.net
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
Never.
[]
**
Contempt of Congress meter reading-offscale.
Vote for Bush. Why vote for the lesser of two evils?
'Jesus' is a sock-puppet Christians utilize to add 'authority' to
whatever action they intend on taking. -Stoney
I am quite appalled that either group here, christians or athiests would
argue about such trifling differences as wether God or Jesus are responsible
for the way we behave.
I'm not, nor am I arguing about whether or not other fictional
characters are 'responsible' either.
Post by coboldragon
Humans and other sub-species (the people to entranced
with their own self superiority to realize that it doesn't matter) are
completely in control of their own faculties and RESPONSIBLE for their own
actions.
*I* agree with you. Too bad so many Christians don't.
Post by coboldragon
The primary difference is that if you choose to live an honorable,
good, non-destructive life as an atheist, the only reward is a feeling of a
job well done.
I don't know about any 'reward,' but I think I understand your point.
Post by coboldragon
As a christian I live my live in a correct, honorable, and
adult way both to honor that which i believe as well as myself . I will not
fear death as an end, but i also will not fear the rath of other humans
because in all cases i have done what is right.
What is *right,* or what you consider to be right?
Post by coboldragon
By the way right is not
defined strictly by the law or by the precepts of any god.
No argument.
Post by coboldragon
Right and Wrong
are universal concepts and are irrelevent of any theology. Simply agreeing
with a theology does not mean that Right adheres to that theology. All
theologies including atheism
Grevious error on your part here. Atheism isn't a theology. It is a
lack of theism, nothing more. The 'a' prefix indicates that.
Christians are atheist with regard to all other superstitions but
theirs. I simply include Christianity in the list.
Post by coboldragon
are inherently flawed due to the barrier of
communication between human minds required to express that theology. No 2
Christians are exactly the same in thier belief
Which is a hefty problem as well as a hefty protection.
Post by coboldragon
and niether are there 2
athiests who would not find a single diffeence in their belief if both could
possibly use the same meaning for the same words.
Interesting; "bald is a hair colour not the lack of hair."
Post by coboldragon
All words are but pictures made of sound the description of each is personal
and constructed by each individual and therefore seperate even among those
who speak the same dialect.
In most cases, yes.
Post by coboldragon
I submit that this arguement of which theology is right is inane and moot.
I agree theology is inane.
Post by coboldragon
why continue it.
I made a one word answer to something the prior poster said. I fail
to see how you got the above out of that.

--

Contempt of Congress meter reading-offscale.

Vote for Bush. Why vote for the lesser of two evils?

No matter the candidates the superstition industry wins.

thomas p
2004-10-08 19:24:24 UTC
snip
I submit that atheism is not a theology.
Teresita
2004-10-08 21:38:00 UTC
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:24:24 +0200, thomas p
Post by thomas p
I submit that atheism is not a theology.
If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.

Teresita
coboldragon
2004-10-09 02:11:35 UTC
Post by thomas p
I submit that atheism is not a theology.
If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.
--
Teresita
once again the problem is in differences in ones own definition of a word so
I will clarify.

In my lexicon Theology is a belief system.

athiests of which i used to be one believe that no god exists. Since it is
as impossible to disprove this theory as it is to prove the other this is a
belief and therefore a belief system.

hence a theology.
Christopher A. Lee
2004-10-09 02:24:05 UTC
Post by thomas p
I submit that atheism is not a theology.
If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.
--
Teresita
once again the problem is in differences in ones own definition of a word so
I will clarify.
In my lexicon Theology is a belief system.
You left out the "theos" root.
Post by coboldragon
athiests of which i used to be one believe that no god exists. Since it is
Which is a misuse of language by theists like you, who dishonestly use
multiple equivocations to come up with something you would have known
was a misrepresentation if you had actually been the atheist you
pretend.

Why is it so hard to grasp the obvious: that it's no different than
not believing in Santa Claus?

Or that attempts by theists to describe us as though their doctrinal
premises even applied to us, will always get it wrong?
Post by coboldragon
as impossible to disprove this theory as it is to prove the other this is a
belief and therefore a belief system.
What "theory" would that be?
Post by coboldragon
hence a theology.
Only if you're being deliberately stupid.
thomas p
2004-10-09 10:24:07 UTC
Post by thomas p
I submit that atheism is not a theology.
If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.
--
Teresita
once again the problem is in differences in ones own definition of a word so
I will clarify.
The problem is in your unwillingness to accept our definition of
ourselves.
Post by coboldragon
In my lexicon Theology is a belief system.
And, of course, you refuse to see the other definitions also found in
dictionaries and, more importantly, the one that is in use in
alt.atheism.
Post by coboldragon
athiests of which i used to be one believe that no god exists. Since it is
as impossible to disprove this theory as it is to prove the other this is a
belief and therefore a belief system.
hence a theology.
Sorry, you have still not defined me out of existence. I am still an
atheist. I still have no positive belief in the non-existence of god.
Atheism, as it is used in alt.atheis, is still not a belief system or
a theology.
Terrell D Lewis
2004-10-09 15:34:58 UTC
Post by thomas p
Post by coboldragon
athiests of which i used to be one believe that no god exists. Since it is
as impossible to disprove this theory as it is to prove the other this is a
belief and therefore a belief system.
hence a theology.
Sorry, you have still not defined me out of existence. I am still an
atheist. I still have no positive belief in the non-existence of god.
Atheism, as it is used in alt.atheis, is still not a belief system or
a theology.
You can make up your own definitions of words all you want, but according to
to the dictionary I own, that has been trusted by libraries and schools for
a very long time, the Merriam Webster, athiesm is a form of religion.

Athiest's in these groups act like they're a religion, defending their
beliefs they claim don't exist, evangelizing their beliefs they claim don't
exist, and so forth. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, my
goodness, it must be a duck!

Terrell
Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-09 20:03:15 UTC
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:34:58 +0000 in episode
Post by Terrell D Lewis
You can make up your own definitions of words all you want, but according
to to the dictionary I own, that has been trusted by libraries and schools
for a very long time, the Merriam Webster, athiesm is a form of religion.
And if the dictionary defined "atheist" as "small furry creature from
Alpha Centari" do you think we'd all change into one?

(Speaking of religion, people who worship dictionaries, what a trip)
-- Douglas Adams
Teresita
2004-10-09 22:06:04 UTC
Post by Terrell D Lewis
You can make up your own definitions of words all you want, but according
to to the dictionary I own, that has been trusted by libraries and schools
for a very long time, the Merriam Webster, athiesm is a form of religion.
And if the dictionary defined "atheist" as "small furry creature from
Alpha Centari" do you think we'd all change into one?
(Speaking of religion, people who worship dictionaries, what a trip)
They practice a false and profane belief! Only the Roget's Thesaurus
is worthy of our worship.

Teresita
Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-10 00:29:08 UTC
Post by Terrell D Lewis
You can make up your own definitions of words all you want, but
according to to the dictionary I own, that has been trusted by
libraries and schools for a very long time, the Merriam Webster,
athiesm is a form of religion.
And if the dictionary defined "atheist" as "small furry creature from
Alpha Centari" do you think we'd all change into one?
(Speaking of religion, people who worship dictionaries, what a trip)
They practice a false and profane belief! Only the Roget's Thesaurus is
worthy of our worship.
<GASP>

INFIDEL!!!!

Only the OED is worthy of worship!!!!!!
-- Douglas Adams
stoney
2004-10-10 16:32:17 UTC
Post by Terrell D Lewis
You can make up your own definitions of words all you want, but
according to to the dictionary I own, that has been trusted by
libraries and schools for a very long time, the Merriam Webster,
athiesm is a form of religion.
And if the dictionary defined "atheist" as "small furry creature from
Alpha Centari" do you think we'd all change into one?
(Speaking of religion, people who worship dictionaries, what a trip)
They practice a false and profane belief! Only the Roget's Thesaurus is
worthy of our worship.
<GASP>
INFIDEL!!!!
Only the OED is worthy of worship!!!!!!
Bah. /me urinates on them all-the long the short and the tall. And,
especially, T. Lewis.

John Baker
2004-10-09 20:36:08 UTC
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:34:58 GMT, "Terrell D Lewis"
Post by Terrell D Lewis
Post by thomas p
Post by thomas p
Post by coboldragon
belief and therefore a belief system.
hence a theology.
Sorry, you have still not defined me out of existence. I am still an
atheist. I still have no positive belief in the non-existence of god.
Atheism, as it is used in alt.atheis, is still not a belief system or
a theology.
You can make up your own definitions of words all you want, but according to
to the dictionary I own, that has been trusted by libraries and schools for
a very long time, the Merriam Webster, athiesm is a form of religion.
Athiest's in these groups act like they're a religion, defending their
beliefs they claim don't exist, evangelizing their beliefs they claim don't
exist, and so forth. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, my
goodness, it must be a duck!
If it drools like an idiot and posts drivel like an idiot, my
goodness, it must be an idiot!
Terrell
stoney
2004-10-10 16:33:03 UTC
Post by Terrell D Lewis
Post by thomas p
Post by thomas p
Post by coboldragon
[...]
T. Lewis *is* a Christian! Q.E.D..

John Baker
...Idiot is a given....
stoney
2004-10-12 17:13:55 UTC
Post by John Baker
Post by stoney
Post by John Baker
Post by Terrell D Lewis
Athiest's in these groups act like they're a religion, defending their
beliefs they claim don't exist, evangelizing their beliefs they claim don't
exist, and so forth. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, my
goodness, it must be a duck!
If it drools like an idiot and posts drivel like an idiot, my
goodness, it must be an idiot!
T. Lewis *is* a Christian! Q.E.D..
...Idiot is a given....
Idiocy is next to, if not parcel of, Christianity.

They do love their bearing false witness.

stoney
2004-10-10 16:31:00 UTC
Post by Terrell D Lewis
Post by thomas p
Post by thomas p
Post by coboldragon
belief and therefore a belief system.
hence a theology.
Sorry, you have still not defined me out of existence. I am still an
atheist. I still have no positive belief in the non-existence of god.
Atheism, as it is used in alt.atheis, is still not a belief system or
a theology.
You can make up your own definitions of words all you want, but according to
to the dictionary I own, that has been trusted by libraries and schools for
a very long time, the Merriam Webster, athiesm is a form of religion.
Only to the terminally ignorant who not only lie but are clueless.

http://www.generationterrorists.com/quotes/fear4.html
The world holds two classes of men - intelligent men without religion,
and religious men without intelligence.

Abu'l-Ala-Al-Ma'arri, (973-1057; Syrian poet)
Post by Terrell D Lewis
Athiest's in these groups act like they're a religion, defending their
beliefs they claim don't exist, evangelizing their beliefs they claim don't
exist, and so forth. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, my
goodness, it must be a duck!
Hello Brainless Lying Asshole!

Free clue, Dickhead.

"Bald is not a hair colour" no matter how much it gets your panties in
a twist. According to your 'logic' "lack of breathing is breathing.'

http://www.generationterrorists.com/quotes/fear4.html
Often a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens,
and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the
stars and even their sizes and distances,... and this knowledge he
holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive
and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense
about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in
Scripture. We should do all that we can to avoid such an embarrassing
situation, which people see as ignorance in the Christian and laugh to
scorn.

St. Augustine
De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim

Mark K. Bilbo
-- Douglas Adams
coboldragon
2004-10-09 15:40:17 UTC
Post by coboldragon
athiests of which i used to be one believe that no god exists.
No we don't.
--
Mark K. Bilbo - a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion
Alt-atheism website at: http://www.alt-atheism.org
"Being surprised at the fact that the universe
is fine tuned for life is akin to a puddle being
surprised at how well it fits its hole"
-- Douglas Adams
Very well then i may have been mistaken 10 years ago when i refused to
believe in any driving force in the universe for believeing myself an
atheist.

if you would enlighten me on the current definition of atheism.

But more importantly i was trying to explain that there was no need for
fruitless name calling and arguing. intelligent discussion is much better to
all involved.
Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-09 19:46:45 UTC
Post by coboldragon
athiests of which i used to be one believe that no god exists.
No we don't.
Very well then i may have been mistaken 10 years ago when i refused to
believe in any driving force in the universe for believeing myself an
atheist.
if you would enlighten me on the current definition of atheism.
But more importantly i was trying to explain that there was no need for
fruitless name calling and arguing. intelligent discussion is much better
to all involved.
The definition has always been *lacking belief in any gods. The "a-"
prefix indicates "without." "Atheism" is being without theism.

Believing "no god exists" is a positive belief which an atheist could have
if she or he was so convinced but it is not a characteristic of atheism
itself.

There is a difference between not believing and believing not...
-- Douglas Adams
s***@the.net
2004-10-09 17:16:38 UTC
Post by coboldragon
athiests of which i used to be one believe that no god exists.
No we don't.
His intellectual grasp lacks opposing thumbs.

s***@the.net
2004-10-09 17:15:53 UTC
Post by thomas p
I submit that atheism is not a theology.
If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.
--
Teresita
once again the problem is in differences in ones own definition of a word so
I will clarify.
In my lexicon Theology is a belief system.
Which is meaningless to those outside your private system.
Post by coboldragon
athiests of which i used to be one believe that no god exists. Since it is
as impossible to disprove this theory as it is to prove the other this is a
belief and therefore a belief system.
hence a theology.
Fuck off, you lying sack of ignorant christian dog shit.

s***@the.net
2004-10-09 17:15:03 UTC
Post by thomas p
I submit that atheism is not a theology.
If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.
/me sees a new advert

"Baldness For Men" the new hair colour from the newest entrant in the
men's hair colouring field. (monster grin)

Denis Loubet
2004-10-10 19:35:58 UTC
Post by coboldragon
Post by s***@the.net
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
Never.
[]
**
Contempt of Congress meter reading-offscale.
Vote for Bush. Why vote for the lesser of two evils?
'Jesus' is a sock-puppet Christians utilize to add 'authority' to
whatever action they intend on taking. -Stoney
I am quite appalled that either group here, christians or athiests would
argue about such trifling differences as wether God or Jesus are responsible
for the way we behave.
If a god is responsible for the way we behave, I don't consider that
trifling. In fact, that would be the most important discovery ever
concerning the human race.
Post by coboldragon
Humans and other sub-species (the people to entranced
with their own self superiority to realize that it doesn't matter)
I thought you were against calling people names.
Post by coboldragon
are
completely in control of their own faculties and RESPONSIBLE for their own
actions.
Unless determinism is true.
Post by coboldragon
The primary difference is that if you choose to live an honorable,
good, non-destructive life as an atheist, the only reward is a feeling of a
job well done.
Not at all. There are many more tangible rewards. The happiness and love of
those around you. The differences you've made in people's lives. These
things will last long after you're gone.
Post by coboldragon
As a christian I live my live in a correct, honorable, and
adult way both to honor that which i believe as well as myself .
Does this correct and honorable and adult way include calling those with
different beliefs "sub-species"?

Are you suggesting that dehumanization of others is a correct, honorable,
and adult way to live?
Post by coboldragon
I will not
fear death as an end, but i also will not fear the rath of other humans
because in all cases i have done what is right.
Do you hold the belief that you cannot be wrong as to what is right?

Your apparent certainty seems to indicate that you hold that belief.

Do you think that belief is justified?
Post by coboldragon
By the way right is not
defined strictly by the law or by the precepts of any god. Right and Wrong
are universal concepts and are irrelevent of any theology.
How are you certain that you have accurately determined what is right and
wrong?
Post by coboldragon
Simply agreeing
with a theology does not mean that Right adheres to that theology.
Ain't that the truth.
Post by coboldragon
All
theologies including atheism are inherently flawed due to the barrier of
communication between human minds required to express that theology.
That would be true if atheists had a theology.
Post by coboldragon
No 2
Christians are exactly the same in thier belief and niether are there 2
athiests who would not find a single diffeence in their belief if both could
possibly use the same meaning for the same words.
BOGGLE! Baptists are exactly the same as Catholics? I think you will find
some agrument there from Christians themselves.

Atheists don't claim or pretend to hold the same beliefs.
Post by coboldragon
All words are but pictures made of sound the description of each is personal
and constructed by each individual and therefore seperate even among those
who speak the same dialect.
So no one can understand what anyone else is saying.

Then why are you typing characters?
Post by coboldragon
I submit that this arguement of which theology is right is inane and moot.
why continue it.
You seem to think it's ok to hold what you believe to be right and wrong, as
right. Even to the point of certainty.

I see no difference.
--
Denis Loubet
***@io.com
http://www.io.com/~dloubet
coboldragon
2004-10-11 02:07:17 UTC
actually i did not name that particualar sub species the schaolars of the
time did the name is (fanatic0 and it pllies to some in all
belief(non-belief) systems.

and as far as knowing that i have the lock on what is right. there is that
chance that i have made a mistake and that is why i was hoping for
conversation and not the word brawl that has ensued.

I admit and apologise for the fact that i may have been defensive at being
verbally attacked by people spewing generalities from both faith and
non-faith.
Post by coboldragon
http://www.io.com/~dloubet
Denis Loubet
2004-10-11 08:31:14 UTC
Post by coboldragon
actually i did not name that particualar sub species the schaolars of the
time did the name is (fanatic0 and it pllies to some in all
belief(non-belief) systems.
Irrelevant. You are calling people names, and then complaining when others
do the same.
Post by coboldragon
and as far as knowing that i have the lock on what is right. there is that
chance that i have made a mistake and that is why i was hoping for
conversation and not the word brawl that has ensued.
If you want to exchange words on usenet, you will have to grow a thicker
skin. Here's an idea, before you hit send, pretend you are one of the
"sub-species", and try to imagine that your post is from someone else
talking about you. Then imagine what kind of response you might give. That
may shed some light on why you got the responses you did.
Post by coboldragon
I admit and apologise for the fact that i may have been defensive at being
verbally attacked by people spewing generalities from both faith and
non-faith.
You would probably get better responses if you didn't incite such responses
by choosing words like "Spewing".

Also, as a general rule, people frown on top-posting.

Denis Loubet
***@io.com
http://www.io.com/~dloubet
Post by coboldragon
Post by coboldragon
Post by coboldragon
Post by coboldragon
are
completely in control of their own faculties and RESPONSIBLE for their
own
Post by coboldragon
Post by coboldragon
actions.
Unless determinism is true.
Post by coboldragon
Post by coboldragon
why continue it.
You seem to think it's ok to hold what you believe to be right and
wrong,
Post by coboldragon
as
http://www.io.com/~dloubet
Peter
2004-10-10 00:37:21 UTC
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on looking
for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the entire
burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do we want to
be children all our lives?
"I admire human beings who are no-evasive and who
have a sense of their own identity, and I regard an understanding of myself
as something to be prized for its own sake. I do not need a deity to support
this appreciation or give it value"
Kai Nielsen, Professor of Philosophy
How incredibly egotistical and short sighted to imagine that there is
nothing greater than man's self-awareness. What's next dear Socrates,
the immorality of the soul perhaps?

Peter
thomas p
2004-10-10 08:31:50 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
By New10
When are you Christians going to growing up and stop looking for a father
figure who is going to save your ass? Is it not infantile to go on looking
for some father, some order, and some absolute that will lift the entire
burden of decision from us? Children follow rules blindly, but do we want to
be children all our lives?
"I admire human beings who are no-evasive and who
have a sense of their own identity, and I regard an understanding of myself
as something to be prized for its own sake. I do not need a deity to support
this appreciation or give it value"
Kai Nielsen, Professor of Philosophy
How incredibly egotistical and short sighted to imagine that there is
nothing greater than man's self-awareness.
How typically dishonest to pretend that that is what was said.
Post by Peter
What's next dear Socrates,
the immorality of the soul perhaps?
I have a suggestion for what could be next. You could actually read
what was said and respond to that instead of to your limited
collection of strawmen, or would that be too wild for you?
stoney
2004-10-10 16:39:38 UTC
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:31:50 +0200, thomas p
Post by thomas p
Post by Peter
What's next dear Socrates,
the immorality of the soul perhaps?
I have a suggestion for what could be next. You could actually read
what was said and respond to that instead of to your limited
collection of strawmen, or would that be too wild for you?
Peter already fouled his nappies.

What is it with these Christian?
They drool about 'doning the armour of the lord.' What is the usual
result? Ignorance, cowardice, unrepentant false witness, contempt,
lack of empathy, lack of compassion, lack of humanity and more.
Cursed armour indeed.

Storm Rider
2004-10-17 12:34:17 UTC
Post by thomas p
Post by Peter
What's next dear Socrates,
the immorality of the soul perhaps?
I have a suggestion for what could be next. You could actually read
what was said and respond to that instead of to your limited
collection of strawmen, or would that be too wild for you?
Peter already fouled his nappies.
What is it with these Christian?
They drool about 'doning the armour of the lord.' What is the usual
result? Ignorance, cowardice, unrepentant false witness, contempt,
lack of empathy, lack of compassion, lack of humanity and more.
Cursed armour indeed.
--
Contempt of Congress meter reading-offscale.
Vote for Bush. Why vote for the lesser of two evils?
No matter the candidates the superstition industry wins.
'Jesus' is a sock-puppet Christians utilize to add 'authority' to
whatever action they intend on taking. -Stoney
I find it facinating that people are willing to deny the existence of a God
that has a personal stake in their lives, and I am truly fascinated at the
reasoning. We are willing to kick any concept of a God we should answer to
to the curb because we don't agree with how He is running the show. We
often hear reasons such as "I can't believe in a God that would allow this
to happen", or "I can't believe in a God that would send someone to Hell".
What we are really saying is that "I refuse to submit to a God that is out
of my control." If God truly exists (which I believe He does), then He gets
to decide how He runs things, and He doesn't have to do it my way. He's the
boss, not me. Arguably, He hired me to do a job in His creation when I was
created. I may not understand the grand scheme, but I should understand
that God is Boss, and I work for Him. Through the Bible, He has attempted
to explain how His systems are setup, but it is hard for people to firmly
grasp this from our limited experience.

I work in a company where I get to travel around to various local operations
installing new systems and processes, though I am based at the corporate
headquarters. It never fails that when I show up at a local operation, they
feel that their case is different and unique, and they can't understand what
possible reason headquarters could have for wanting to setup this system.
The personnel at each local operation acts as an island unto itself, though
they do submit to headquarters when they are required to. They still have a
boss to answer to, and they do so, though they are sure they would run
things different if they were in charge.

God doesn't get diminished if you don't believe in Him, we do. We become
unplugged from the power that contains and controls this universe. Our
arrogance that we are answerable unto only ourselves. God is real, and
personal, and is just as much a universal constant as light or gravity.
And, like those two, His affect on your life depends on how close to Him you
are willing to get. In space, away from stars and planets, it is dark and
cold, and gravity's effect is almost too small to measure. However, on
Earth, we are close to a Sun that gives light and heat, and we are under
Gravity's influence. If you truly believe that your faith in something
determines if it will work, try denying your faith in gravity and walking
off a cliff. Gravity doesn't really get affected too much by how strongly
you believe in it.

-------------------------------------
"Hear the Rider's Cry: The Storm is on the Rise!"

Storm Rider
Christopher A. Lee
2004-10-17 13:10:20 UTC
Post by Storm Rider
[...]
I find it fascinating just how many ignorant theists lie about outside
their religion.

You are no different than somebody who believes in Santa Claus,
inventing slanderously nasty amateur-psychologised "reasons" why
people don't, all based on the presumption that Santa Claus exists,
really does have a magic sleigh, flying reindeer and a magic toy
factory at the North Pole.

You are so far out of touch with reality that you don't realise just
how stupid your invented falsehoods are.

The reality is that people who have as much reason to believe in your
deity as they so in Santa Claus, ie none whatsoever, don't believe.

Lying about them to their faces won't change anything. It does however
tell them plenty about you.
Post by Storm Rider
I work in a company where I get to travel around to various local operations
installing new systems and processes, though I am based at the corporate
headquarters. It never fails that when I show up at a local operation, they
feel that their case is different and unique, and they can't understand what
possible reason headquarters could have for wanting to setup this system.
The personnel at each local operation acts as an island unto itself, though
they do submit to headquarters when they are required to. They still have a
boss to answer to, and they do so, though they are sure they would run
things different if they were in charge.
God doesn't get diminished if you don't believe in Him, we do.
Only in the deluded fantasies of believers who can't think outside the
box, and prefer to lie about others than granting what their
perspective actually is.
Post by Storm Rider
We become
unplugged from the power that contains and controls this universe.
What "power that contains and controls this universe", moron?

Do you mean gravity? If so then your mind is unplugged.
Post by Storm Rider
Our
arrogance that we are answerable unto only ourselves.
Dishonest falsehood. We are answerable to those whom our actions
affect.
Post by Storm Rider
God is real, and
Baseless assertion by a loony who can't tell where the real world
starts and his religion stops. In the real world it is merely your
religious belief that nobody would give a toss about if you weren't so
in-your-face stupidly nasty about it.

Here's a clue: BEFORE YOU TALK ABOUT IT AS THOUGH IT WERE REAL, YOU
HAVE TO DEMONSTRATE THAT IT IS, TO EVERYBODY'S MUTUAL SATISFACTION.

But you morons don't - you rudely talk at people outside your religion
as though its existence were a given.
Post by Storm Rider
personal, and is just as much a universal constant as light or gravity.
Prove it objectively. And when you realise you can't, apologise for
your public stupidity and your slanderous falsehoods.
Post by Storm Rider
And, like those two, His affect on your life depends on how close to Him you
are willing to get.
Here's a clue, moron: why didn't you substitute something you yourself
don't believe, for what you know the audience you have been lying
about, doesn't believe? Like Santa Claus. If the new version is
ridiculous to you, why imagine your original is any less ridiculous to
us?

It's hardly rocket science.
Post by Storm Rider
In space, away from stars and planets, it is dark and
cold, and gravity's effect is almost too small to measure. However, on
Earth, we are close to a Sun that gives light and heat, and we are under
Gravity's influence. If you truly believe that your faith in something
determines if it will work, try denying your faith in gravity and walking
off a cliff. Gravity doesn't really get affected too much by how strongly
you believe in it.
Then demonstrate the existence of your pretend friend outside your
overworked imagination, to the same extent as the Sun, gravity etc are
demonstrated.

And don't lie about "faith" where there isn't any.

Instead of the dishonest and transparent bait'n'switch to something
that is the label for an objectively observed phenomena, isn't in
dispute and requires no faith. As though that were the same as your
subjective belief in something for which there is no evidence, that is
merely the belief of one of the hundreds of different religions.

If you imagine it exists in the real world, demonstrate this
objectively BEFORE instead of lying about those with zero reason to
take it any more seriously than you take Zeus, Mithras, Odin, Osiris,
Krishna and all the others.
Post by Storm Rider
-------------------------------------
"Hear the Rider's Cry: The Storm is on the Rise!"
Storm Rider
Ike
2004-10-17 15:45:12 UTC
Apologies for using this post to reply to the person in the previous post.
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by Storm Rider
I find it facinating that people are willing to deny the existence of a God
that has a personal stake in their lives, and I am truly fascinated at the
reasoning. We are willing to kick any concept of a God we should answer to
to the curb because we don't agree with how He is running the show.
That isn't my reason! The show has no master and is out of control, and I've
been a victim of evil people masquerading as God's emisslaries. In your
perhaps more orderly world, you can believe otherwise if you like, unless
you too become a victim rather than an apologist for a corrupt and criminal
system.

We
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by Storm Rider
often hear reasons such as "I can't believe in a God that would allow this
to happen", or "I can't believe in a God that would send someone to Hell".
What we are really saying is that "I refuse to submit to a God that is out
of my control." If God truly exists (which I believe He does), then He gets
to decide how He runs things, and He doesn't have to do it my way. He's the
boss, not me. Arguably, He hired me to do a job in His creation when I was
created. I may not understand the grand scheme, but I should understand
that God is Boss, and I work for Him. Through the Bible, He has attempted
to explain how His systems are setup, but it is hard for people to firmly
grasp this from our limited experience.
I read most of it, maybe all. What I did glean fom it, is that the system is
out of control with no coherent operational manual. I tried to believe in
it, but there comes a point where you have to go on, or be destroyed by
idiots.
Post by Christopher A. Lee
I find it fascinating just how many ignorant theists lie about outside
their religion.
Not just ignorant. Conveniently and lazily corrupt.
<snip>
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by Storm Rider
I work in a company where I get to travel around to various local operations
installing new systems and processes, though I am based at the corporate
headquarters. It never fails that when I show up at a local operation, they
feel that their case is different and unique, and they can't understand what
possible reason headquarters could have for wanting to setup this system.
The personnel at each local operation acts as an island unto itself, though
they do submit to headquarters when they are required to. They still have a
boss to answer to, and they do so, though they are sure they would run
things different if they were in charge.
God doesn't get diminished if you don't believe in Him, we do.
Only in the deluded fantasies of believers who can't think outside the
box, and prefer to lie about others than granting what their
perspective actually is.
Supports Crazyalec's mantra that religion is just a business.
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by Storm Rider
We become
unplugged from the power that contains and controls this universe.
It benefits you personally to believe that the power that controls the
universe is what you serve. What you actually serve is an oligarchy.

.
Post by Storm Rider
[...]
Post by Storm Rider
-------------------------------------
"Hear the Rider's Cry: The Storm is on the Rise!"
Storm Rider
walksalone
2004-10-17 13:29:34 UTC
Post by thomas p
Post by stoney
Post by thomas p
Post by stoney
Post by thomas p
Post by stoney
Post by thomas p
Post by stoney
Post by thomas p
Post by stoney
Post by thomas p
Post by stoney
Post by thomas p
Post by stoney
Post by thomas p
Post by Peter
[...]
Ah, a person with evidence for a god, just which one is implied by the
abuse of a noun being changed into a proper noun. Let the audience guess,
you mean the xian gods, correct?
Post by New10.
that has a personal stake in their lives, and I am truly fascinated at the
Now there is a thought. If the story is true, why do so many xians know so
little about their myth, its history & the way it was developed.
Serious question, if there is an afterlife & there is a god, how do you
know the god you chose is correct.
In the case of the xian myth, it is known by all but the followers to be
false, as is true for the Islamic myth, the Jewish myth, the Hindu myth, or
any other myth that has gods. Especially gods that must be obeyed.

With over 25,000 gods claimed by humanity, how do you know that the real
god is not simply waiting to announce himself in an undeniable manner, & it
is not your god?
Post by New10.
reasoning. We are willing to kick any concept of a God we should answer to
to the curb because we don't agree with how He is running the show. We
Even worse than that, you see, there is no practical way to discern the
difference between non-existence & invisible entity's. Its called lack of
evidence, & evidence is not based on claims of people that don't know what
they are talking about, or based on emotional or popular appeal, like you
are trying to do.
Post by New10.
often hear reasons such as "I can't believe in a God that would allow this
to happen", or "I can't believe in a God that would send someone to Hell".
What we are really saying is that "I refuse to submit to a God that is out
So, you can read minds as well, can you move a mountain, can you drink a
16oz. container of arsenic with no side effects. How about can you pick up
a pissed off fully loaded 12 foot timber rattler, & not get bitten? If not
I guess your faith is weak, for it is said in your grimorie that these are
signs of a true believer, & the power granted to xians.
Post by New10.
of my control." If God truly exists (which I believe He does), then He gets
to decide how He runs things, and He doesn't have to do it my way. He's the
Why, when you get right down to it, why your god & not someone else's. A
decent god for a change, one that does not have the deck stacked against it
as being known as a blood drinking god?
Why not the queen of heaven?
She was decent, she helped the people & was popular. Of course, that was a
problem for the Yahwehist priest hood, but those were her attributes [among
others]. No public temple required either, just wherever there was a grove
of trees, she was there.
Post by New10.
boss, not me. Arguably, He hired me to do a job in His creation when I was
created. I may not understand the grand scheme, but I should understand
that God is Boss, and I work for Him. Through the Bible, He has attempted
to explain how His systems are setup, but it is hard for people to firmly
grasp this from our limited experience.
What is hard to grasp is the willingness of humanity to fail to live its
own life & take full responsibility for it. But then, that was why the
priesthood managed to get in control, & not just the xian one either.

snip
Post by New10.
God doesn't get diminished if you don't believe in Him, we do. We become
How so, if you can not even verify a god, than you are no better than any
other pimp. You push a product that supposedly fixes a problem of your own
devising.
This sin thing bleaters go on about for starters.
Post by New10.
unplugged from the power that contains and controls this universe. Our
arrogance that we are answerable unto only ourselves. God is real, and
No, we are answerable not just to ourselves, but the society we elect to
reside in. Funny how bleaters never notice that. Willingly that is.
Post by New10.
personal, and is just as much a universal constant as light or gravity.
If your god is real & as you described, there would be no question about it
for it could be detected. But that is not the way the god racket works now
is it.
Post by New10.
And, like those two, His affect on your life depends on how close to Him you
are willing to get. In space, away from stars and planets, it is dark and
If you are referring to Yahweh, no way, there is a god that needs destroyed
on contact. If you are trying to claim one Jesus of Nazareth, the town that
never existed as described, then again no thanks. You see, historically as
well as theologically, he does not exist.
In spite of the xian claims that he really really does love you & will be
back any day now to smite the sinners & chunk you into the eternal stew
pot, the parent myth says no, as well as history.
But then, you will never know that for you will not put your belief to the
test & actually learn where it came from & how it was sold off as valid.
Post by New10.
cold, and gravity's effect is almost too small to measure. However, on
Earth, we are close to a Sun that gives light and heat, and we are under
Gravity's influence. If you truly believe that your faith in something
determines if it will work, try denying your faith in gravity and walking
off a cliff. Gravity doesn't really get affected too much by how strongly
you believe in it.
Apples & oranges, as well as being dishonest. We know by observation about
the basic sciences. That's how they work. Gods, OTOH, being imaginary
beings, are not subject to the sciences.
Claims made on behalf of those gods, miracles, powers, etc, are & that is
one of the reasons that people are turning away form the gods. It is also
one of the primary reasons that various xian groups in the US are trying to
get their myth ^& its claims taught as science, if not in lieu of since.

snip sig

walksalone who has bothered to actually study the xian myth & its
foundations & cheerfully admits that the claims for it are just as true as
the claims for any other god, goddess, demon or devil, hell, even the
angels of humanity.
--
Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a
toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm.
-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)
Liz
2004-10-17 13:43:28 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:34:17 GMT, "Storm Rider" <***@b.c> in news
message <dFtcd.20912$***@tornado.tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

[-----]
Post by Storm Rider
I find it facinating that people are willing to deny the existence of a God
that has a personal stake in their lives, and I am truly fascinated at the
reasoning.
What denial? The lack of evidence means that there is nothing to
deny.
Post by Storm Rider
We are willing to kick any concept of a God we should answer to
to the curb because we don't agree with how He is running the show. We
often hear reasons such as "I can't believe in a God that would allow this
to happen", or "I can't believe in a God that would send someone to Hell".
I've never said that. The reason that I am an atheist, and it is the
usual reason, is that there is no evidence to support the existence of
God®.
Post by Storm Rider
What we are really saying is that "I refuse to submit to a God that is out
of my control."
No, that is not what we are really saying. When you make up both
sides of the conversation, you usually get one side wrong. Of course,
from your point of view, listening only to what you believe and
pretending that someone else said it must be very comforting. An
author finds it satisfying to create dialog to further his ideology;
to create a Greek chorus who repeats his prejudice and sings his
praises, "Well done. Well done." Yet, the author who forgets that
he is writing fiction is delusional.
Post by Storm Rider
If God truly exists (which I believe He does), then He gets
to decide how He runs things, and He doesn't have to do it my way. He's the
boss, not me.
Sure, but that's a big "if" that can't be supported. If Lint® exists
and he makes our laundry clean then you have no choice but to
sacrifice your left socks to him. He's the boss, you know.
Post by Storm Rider
Arguably, He hired me to do a job in His creation when I was
created. I may not understand the grand scheme, but I should understand
that God is Boss, and I work for Him. Through the Bible, He has attempted
to explain how His systems are setup, but it is hard for people to firmly
grasp this from our limited experience.
Conversely while believers claim that God®'s plans can't be
understood, each believer has his own individual notion of what God®'s
"grand scheme" consists. These believers are more than willing to
condemn others who do not believe exactly as they do. They call them
arrogant, accuse them of denial, and create strawmen arguments as to
why those people who do not share their belief are stupid or bad or,
at best, misled. They are secure in their belief and have no need for
evidence, and they speak with condescension and with haughty pride of
their humility of submission to something greater and grander than
themselves. While they can offer no evidence for this "grand scheme"
nor of the god who supposedly owns and plans it, they know that they
themselves are privy to God®'s thoughts and are fully justified in
reproaching others for not having this same special advantage.

Despite the myriads of unique interpretations, not one coherent
explanation of this "grand scheme" has emerged. In the history of
humankind, no one has offered any objective evidence that such an
entity as God® exists independently of the minds of those who believe
in it.

<snip apocryphal story of this person's job>
Post by Storm Rider
God doesn't get diminished if you don't believe in Him, we do. We become
unplugged from the power that contains and controls this universe.
No, "we" don't. You maybe, but not me. Not believing in an
uberfather doesn't do anything to those who do not believe.
Post by Storm Rider
Our
arrogance that we are answerable unto only ourselves. God is real, and
personal, and is just as much a universal constant as light or gravity.
And, like those two, His affect on your life depends on how close to Him you
are willing to get. In space, away from stars and planets, it is dark and
cold, and gravity's effect is almost too small to measure. However, on
Earth, we are close to a Sun that gives light and heat, and we are under
Gravity's influence. If you truly believe that your faith in something
determines if it will work, try denying your faith in gravity and walking
off a cliff.
One does not have faith in gravity. One knows by evidence that
gravity exists and works not in any mysterious way, but in a way that
is predictable and mathematically describable. Neither condition
applies to a God® that can neither be measured nor even detected.
Post by Storm Rider
Gravity doesn't really get affected too much by how strongly
you believe in it.
I agree with your last sentence except for your use of the words
"really" and "too much". The better way to phrase this thought is:
Gravity is never affected by the strength of one's belief in it. And
no matter how strongly you believe in God®, neither God® nor reality
is affected by your belief. Reality persists despite anyone's belief,
and God® can not be affected because there is nothing to affect.

Liz #658 BAAWA

They all agree on what their god wants. Each theist will tell you
that what the only true god wants, and what he, himself, wants, are
exactly the same. -- Al Klein
stoney
2004-10-18 04:35:01 UTC
Post by Liz
[-----]
Post by Storm Rider
We are willing to kick any concept of a God we should answer to
to the curb because we don't agree with how He is running the show. We
often hear reasons such as "I can't believe in a God that would allow this
to happen", or "I can't believe in a God that would send someone to Hell".
I've never said that. The reason that I am an atheist, and it is the
usual reason, is that there is no evidence to support the existence of
God®.
Effectively, the g-o-d letter string is undefinded as well.
Post by Liz
Post by Storm Rider
What we are really saying is that "I refuse to submit to a God that is out
of my control."
Astonishing how Christians can be counted on to support the points
they're supposedly responding to.

[]

Storm Rider
2004-10-20 04:57:40 UTC
Post by Liz
[-----]
Post by Storm Rider
I find it facinating that people are willing to deny the existence of a God
that has a personal stake in their lives, and I am truly fascinated at the
reasoning.
What denial? The lack of evidence means that there is nothing to
deny.
I'm quite willing to admit that the primary argument that God cannot be
scientifically measured is a valid one--to a point. Science is, by
definition, the observation of the natural order. God, by the testimony
given, is not a PART of the natural order, but a supernatural being.
Therefore, most expected scientific observations will not validate such an
existance.

However, and I'm sure I'll get shot at for this as well, since we cannot
physically measure the existence of this particular being, we must look to a
different discipline than natural science, which is primarily concerned with
present measurable and observable chriteria.

Instead, let us examine how History works. We are pretty certain that a
number of people have existed throughout history, and have had a major
impact upon it, but we have very little evidence of them that can be
validated through natural science. Instead, we look at the testimony of
others who claim to have witnessed these people and their effect on society
and history. Aristotle is considered by many to be one of the greatest
philosiphors of ancient Greece. However, he and any witnesses of him are
long dead, buried, and forgotten. There exists no more physical evidence
that Aristotle existed at one time than exists for the Christian God (I
think the Christian God actually has more testimonial evidence surviving).
However, few people will give serious consideration to the idea that
Aristotle never existed.

If we are to truly have an open mind on whether or not God exists, and which
god is God, then we have to examine the testimonies left by those claiming
to represent the various Gods available. Are the teachings and claims about
the natural order of a God, according to the writings preserved since the
time of the testimony (not added to by those removed from events), valid?
We can use science to investigate the claims made by these Gods about the
natural order (and the natural order only), and let us assume that any God
who has a claim proven false is disqualified. (Again, will probably get
flamed for assuming that a true God wouldn't lie.)

We can start by ruling out the Greek and Roman gods, since they claim to
have lived on Mt. Olympus, and explorers and sattelite images have shown no
dwellings on this mountain. The very nature of the Greek and Roman myths
also invalidate these gods (The biological impossibility of the Minotaur
story comes to mind). Hades has never been found by modern explorers,
though many tales tell of mortal men traveling there and returning. There
is also no ancient giant observable supporting the sky at the Atlas
mountains.

The Norse gods and the Hindu gods, I must claim ignorance on, as I have not
studied these religions in some time, nor what the gods themselves were said
to have taught and claimed as 'truth'. (Other than the Hindu belief in
reincarnation, which again is not provable by natural science).

So what do the remaining available candidates for God teach? Have the
teachings any of these beings testified to been proven false in any way?

Again, I must claim a certain ignorance for many of the remaining
candidates, as I have not had opportunity to pour over Budda's writings or
the Koran. There are others that claim to have read these works, and have
made claims that many basic facts have been show false through archeology or
natural science.

However, I have read much about investigations into Biblical claims. Even
before the 1611 'authorized' translation into English, the claims made by
the Bible have been under scrutiny. Practically every statement about the
natural order, man's psychology, and social consequence for behaviours has
been examined, ridiculed, hated, scorned, and campaigned against--but never
proven false.

If you could scientifically and definitively prove just one statement made
by the God of the bible, or show one historical statement to be an outright
lie, then you would succeed in silencing Christianity permanently. The very
basis of this faith is that the Bible is true from Genesis to Revelation,
and every verse, in context, supports the whole. Show one false statement
that the Bible claims is true, and Christiantiy dies. One of the core
edicts of Christianity is that the Bible must be true for God to be trusted.
If God is shown to be a liar, then Christians believe a lie.

To this day, as far as I've heard, noone has been able to prove any
falsehood. Granted, the lack of failure does not prove success, but, for me
at least, the sheer volume of attacks that the Bible has withstood without
failure is a convincing argument as to the validity of its teachings, and
the God who claims to be its ultimate author.

I do not believe this argument will ever be answered completely until and
unless the prophecies in the Bible follow through to completion. Current
world attitudes and many of these prophecies appear to be falling into line,
so we may see these prophecies start fulfilling soon. However, even if
these prophecies were to start being fulfilled tomorrow (Such as the
mass-disappearance of millions of Christians, a true one-world government
being setup, Israel and the Middle East finally ratifying a peace-treaty,
Babylon being rebuilt, or the Jewish Temple being re-constructed, to name a
few), there would still be argument that this would prove nothing about
God's existence. Where believers see signs, scoffers will not. According
to the testimony given, it has been this way since the days of Noah.

When and if a religion is proven right based on its prophecies, it is my
hope and prayer that those honestly looking for truth will see this and
believe before they no longer have the opportunity to do so.

-------------------------------------
"Hear the Rider's Cry: The Storm is on the Rise!"

Storm Rider
walksalone
2004-10-20 11:08:27 UTC
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:57:40 GMT, Storm Rider wrote:

Unable to set followups, apparently SR uses one of the microshaft products,
or a direct clone of that stuff.
Post by Storm Rider
Post by Liz
[-----]
Post by Liz
Post by Storm Rider
reasoning.
What denial? The lack of evidence means that there is nothing to
deny.
I'm quite willing to admit that the primary argument that God cannot be
scientifically measured is a valid one--to a point. Science is, by
definition, the observation of the natural order. God, by the testimony
given, is not a PART of the natural order, but a supernatural being.
Therefore, most expected scientific observations will not validate such an
existance.
Wrong wording. It is not will not, that would indicate that there is
something there to be validated, can not is what you meant to type.
Isn't it?
Post by Storm Rider
However, and I'm sure I'll get shot at for this as well, since we cannot
physically measure the existence of this particular being, we must look to a
different discipline than natural science, which is primarily concerned with
present measurable and observable chriteria.
If this concept is real, then it is real everywhere. It is definable, it
has attributes. Some are claimed for this particular set of deity's, some
which indicate that it is a made up construct.
Now, with that out of the way, there is no way to test for that which does
not exist in the here & now, but a side effect of that is that the here &
now is the only thing that can physically effect us.
Emotionally, well, all bets are off.
Post by Storm Rider
Instead, let us examine how History works. We are pretty certain that a
number of people have existed throughout history, and have had a major
impact upon it, but we have very little evidence of them that can be
validated through natural science. Instead, we look at the testimony of
others who claim to have witnessed these people and their effect on society
and history. Aristotle is considered by many to be one of the greatest
Not just are they written about, are those that wrote about them creditable
sources. Where xianity screws the pooch is that there is no way to
positively identify the authors making the claims on its behalf.
I doubt if the founder, one Saul of Tatusu[sp] can even be shown to be
historical.
Then there is the way the books were written, each to a different audience.
Today we call that propaganda.
Post by Storm Rider
philosiphors of ancient Greece. However, he and any witnesses of him are
long dead, buried, and forgotten. There exists no more physical evidence
that Aristotle existed at one time than exists for the Christian God (I
think the Christian God actually has more testimonial evidence surviving).
However, few people will give serious consideration to the idea that
Aristotle never existed.
If we are to truly have an open mind on whether or not God exists, and which
god is God, then we have to examine the testimonies left by those claiming
to represent the various Gods available. Are the teachings and claims about
& you need to start with the first words, compare the claims with the
evidence. Can you do that. Can you pick up a copy of the JPS & examine it &
verify that its history is as claimed, & the gods existed.
Hint, when you study the OT you find out many things they do not teach you
in Sunday school. There you get the pabulum straight & thick.

snip drifting.
Post by Storm Rider
We can start by ruling out the Greek and Roman gods, since they claim to
have lived on Mt. Olympus, and explorers and sattelite images have shown no
dwellings on this mountain. The very nature of the Greek and Roman myths
Care to try again, they, like all other gods are supernatural. It is a
characteristic shared by every god, goddess, angel, demon, or in the xian
case, devil.
Post by Storm Rider
also invalidate these gods (The biological impossibility of the Minotaur
story comes to mind). Hades has never been found by modern explorers,
It is different from the hybrid god of xianity in what way. BTW, you do
know a largeish number of human baby's that are viable are culled due to
deformity's don't you. Mayhap that was one that was not culled.
As to Hades, it's in another dimension, everyone knows that.
Everyone one that believes in it or its xian substitute that is.
Post by Storm Rider
though many tales tell of mortal men traveling there and returning. There
is also no ancient giant observable supporting the sky at the Atlas
mountains.
Invisible, see how easy it is to play the & *Name your God* game.
Post by Storm Rider
The Norse gods and the Hindu gods, I must claim ignorance on, as I have not
studied these religions in some time, nor what the gods themselves were said
to have taught and claimed as 'truth'. (Other than the Hindu belief in
reincarnation, which again is not provable by natural science).
Of course it isn't, but that is a cornerstone for any god claim.
Post by Storm Rider
So what do the remaining available candidates for God teach? Have the
teachings any of these beings testified to been proven false in any way?
Many gods don't teach anything, they simply are.
Now, why not stay in the region, thee are many gods & goddesses to choose
from,. as well as at least one king of divine virgin birth.
Post by Storm Rider
Again, I must claim a certain ignorance for many of the remaining
candidates, as I have not had opportunity to pour over Budda's writings or
the Koran. There are others that claim to have read these works, and have
made claims that many basic facts have been show false through archeology or
natural science.
No need to even go that far.
Does the god have to reveal itself to garner followers, well, that is a
weak god indeed,.
Is the god part of a pre-existing pantheon, well, that is a sad state of
affairs indeed. Can't even come up with a new god.
Does the god enjoy evil, then avoid it.
Is the god to weak to prevent evil, useless.
I could go on but I am describing the xian gods above.
Post by Storm Rider
However, I have read much about investigations into Biblical claims. Even
before the 1611 'authorized' translation into English, the claims made by
the Bible have been under scrutiny. Practically every statement about the
natural order, man's psychology, and social consequence for behaviours has
been examined, ridiculed, hated, scorned, and campaigned against--but never
proven false.
Hum, then you have not been reading serious scholars.
From the beginning claim on it is full of of falsehoods that are known to
be false.
Science as well as history say it is a false myth.
From its theft from the Canaan population, which the proto-Jews were
members, to the Greek insertion of another dying god, it is a load of
bullshit that is well past its spread by date.

Lets make it easy on the audience.
You do realise that gods were local in nature back then don't you?
You do realise a city may have had several gods back then, & the local gods
were the ones that were worshipped. You do realise that goddesses were very
much part & parcel of the original scheme of things don't you?
Without that basic knowledge, you are not qualified to discuss the concepts
for your emotions will get in the way.
Post by Storm Rider
If you could scientifically and definitively prove just one statement made
by the God of the bible, or show one historical statement to be an outright
lie, then you would succeed in silencing Christianity permanently. The very
No, it has been done & xians keep claiming their version of gopd, 0.0.0.0.3
Beta is the one with the hairy chest, the original stud duck, etc.
Post by Storm Rider
basis of this faith is that the Bible is true from Genesis to Revelation,
and every verse, in context, supports the whole. Show one false statement
that the Bible claims is true, and Christiantiy dies. One of the core
Pigeon blood curing leprosy, dipping in the Jordan seven times cures
leprosy, spit & mud clear the sight of the blind. The list could take
several hours to type. & frankly, would be wasted on xians.
After all, they believe.
In the NT, a messiah that is not a messiah for starters.
Fail in any of the messiah requirements & from the concept as developed by
the Jews, a messiah you are not.
Among those requirements.
Be fully human.
Take Israel & make it independent from foreign rule.
Place Israel at the head of nations.
Get the entire world to confess Yahweh is in fact, the top stud in the god
race.
Usher in an era of world peace.
Now, which one of the above was accomplished?
None, fancy that.
Post by Storm Rider
edicts of Christianity is that the Bible must be true for God to be trusted.
If God is shown to be a liar, then Christians believe a lie.
Then xians never read the OT. Or pay attention to the NT.
Post by Storm Rider
To this day, as far as I've heard, noone has been able to prove any
falsehood. Granted, the lack of failure does not prove success, but, for me
at least, the sheer volume of attacks that the Bible has withstood without
failure is a convincing argument as to the validity of its teachings, and
the God who claims to be its ultimate author.
IOW, it gives you the warmfies & you get to go to heaven so there.
For you, that is enough, for people that want to know, it is not even a
start.
& its not like there is not plenty of information freely available either,
there is. But xians don't read it.

snip
Post by Storm Rider
When and if a religion is proven right based on its prophecies, it is my
hope and prayer that those honestly looking for truth will see this and
believe before they no longer have the opportunity to do so.
walksalone who has no doubt some xians are sincere, & nice people on top of
that. But then, even Attila the Hun was said to be nice to others on
occasion, when he felt like it.
Storm Rider
2004-10-20 11:46:02 UTC
Here's something else to consider while trying to send God to the graveyard.

For all of it's perceived fallacies, religion still serves a purpose in
society. It provides the moral compass that society uses to determine right
from wrong. All law is based on some set of beliefs.

Murder, theft, rape, assault. These are understood by society to be not
only illegal, but morally repugnant. Why? Is it not a statement of belief
to characterize these as evil? Are the ones commiting these acts not simply
exercising their freedom of expression?

I've heard the argument that these are wrong because they violate other
people's rights. Rights according to who? What authority can state that
your right to live supercedes my right of expression? Government?
Government contradicts itself. Roe V. Wade says that a woman's right to
privacy and right to live her life as she sees fit supercedes the right to
life of a child growing in her womb. Yet, if a pregnant woman is assaulted,
and a child she was wanting to birth dies as a result, the person committing
the assault is guilty of murder (or manslaughter).

If a theif breaks into my house, legally I must have a safe house for him to
break into. Otherwise, I am legally liable for any injuries he suffers
while trying to steal my property. (This is true, look up case-law on
this.) Morally, we believe that our property is ours to do with as we
please, and are outraged when we hear such things. Yet, this is a symptom
of a society that has abandoned its religious base for morality.

Is it not a 'religious belief' that religions have no relevance in
modern-day, and should be abandoned? By what authority are 'rights'
guaranteed? What authority are we using when we tell the government that
certain 'rights' can never be denied a person, no matter what they have been
accused of? If there is not some greater authority than personal belief,
then the majority of laws governing morality should be abandoned as
religious interference in the state. After all, is it not infringing on
their religious liberty to tell a Musilim that he cannot kill infidels as
his faith instucts? Is it not infringing on freedom of expression for a
father to have sex with his kids as an expression of his love for them? Is
not such a thing governed by his right to privacy?

There are obviously things that we agree are wrong, and should have laws
designed to prevent. But when a person or society is picking and choosing
what they believe to be wrong, and claiming a certain authority for that to
be wrong, they cannot go back and deny that other claims by that authority
on what is right and wrong are invalid. To do so destroys the authority of
what they agree to be wrong.

Just something to consider while trying to preach God's eulogy.

-------------------------------------
"Hear the Rider's Cry: The Storm is on the Rise!"

Storm Rider
Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-20 12:27:16 UTC
Post by Storm Rider
Here's something else to consider while trying to send God to the graveyard.
For all of it's perceived fallacies, religion still serves a purpose in
society. It provides the moral compass that society uses to determine
right from wrong. All law is based on some set of beliefs.
Murder, theft, rape, assault. These are understood by society to be not
only illegal, but morally repugnant. Why?
Survival needs.
Post by Storm Rider
Is it not a statement of
belief to characterize these as evil? Are the ones commiting these acts
not simply exercising their freedom of expression?
No.
Post by Storm Rider
I've heard the argument that these are wrong because they violate other
people's rights. Rights according to who?
The same people who have always said so. Us humans.

You beg the question by simply assuming some "god" to give us moral codes
and the concept of "rights." But if these "god" things don't exist to give
us anything, we are the source of those codes as well as the source of the
concept of rights.

Those concepts exist. But if you cannot show evidence of "gods," you
cannot claim "gods" as a source of those existing things.
Post by Storm Rider
What authority can state that
your right to live supercedes my right of expression? Government?
Government contradicts itself. Roe V. Wade says that a woman's right to
privacy and right to live her life as she sees fit supercedes the right to
life of a child growing in her womb. Yet, if a pregnant woman is
assaulted, and a child she was wanting to birth dies as a result, the
person committing the assault is guilty of murder (or manslaughter).
And the bible says "thou shalt not kill" then orders people killed.
Post by Storm Rider
If a theif breaks into my house, legally I must have a safe house for him
to break into. Otherwise, I am legally liable for any injuries he suffers
while trying to steal my property. (This is true, look up case-law on
this.) Morally, we believe that our property is ours to do with as we
please, and are outraged when we hear such things. Yet, this is a symptom
of a society that has abandoned its religious base for morality.
No it isn't. It's just typically human. That's also why the bible's moral
code is contradictory and confused. Enough so that there are literally
thousands of "interpretations" of it.
Post by Storm Rider
Is it not a 'religious belief' that religions have no relevance in
modern-day, and should be abandoned?
Nope.
Post by Storm Rider
By what authority are 'rights'
guaranteed?
Same as always.
Post by Storm Rider
If there is not some greater authority than personal
belief, then the majority of laws governing morality should be abandoned
as religious interference in the state.
Morality came first. Religion was later.
Post by Storm Rider
After all, is it not infringing
on their religious liberty to tell a Musilim that he cannot kill infidels
as his faith instucts? Is it not infringing on freedom of expression for
a father to have sex with his kids as an expression of his love for them?
Is not such a thing governed by his right to privacy?
You're just being absurd now. Especially given how often the Christian
religion has been used to justify inquisitions, genocides, wars, and such.
Not to mention the bible is rife with incest (go read about Lot sometime).
Post by Storm Rider
There are obviously things that we agree are wrong, and should have laws
designed to prevent.
Yes. And our survival dictates we have some kind of order to our
societies. That's been true since the days who knows how many tens or
hundreds of thousands of years ago we discovered the benefits of living in
social groups.
Post by Storm Rider
But when a person or society is picking and choosing
what they believe to be wrong, and claiming a certain authority for that
to be wrong, they cannot go back and deny that other claims by that
authority on what is right and wrong are invalid. To do so destroys the
authority of what they agree to be wrong.
Can you try that again but this time in English?
Post by Storm Rider
Just something to consider while trying to preach God's eulogy.
"Eulogy" assumes something that was alive but is dead. There's no evidence
"god" ever existed so there's no need for a "eulogy."
-- Douglas Adams
Ike
2004-10-21 00:42:15 UTC
Post by Storm Rider
Here's something else to consider while trying to send God to the graveyard.
For all of it's perceived fallacies, religion still serves a purpose in
society. It provides the moral compass that society uses to determine right
from wrong. All law is based on some set of beliefs.
Morality exists with or without religion, and immorality exists with or
without religion.
Post by Storm Rider
Murder, theft, rape, assault. These are understood by society to be not
only illegal, but morally repugnant. Why? Is it not a statement of belief
to characterize these as evil? Are the ones commiting these acts not simply
exercising their freedom of expression?
Why do christian people do these things?
Post by Storm Rider
I've heard the argument that these are wrong because they violate other
people's rights. Rights according to who? What authority can state that
your right to live supercedes my right of expression? Government?
Generally it would be the gov't reserving the sole right to kill you.
Post by Storm Rider
Government contradicts itself. Roe V. Wade says that a woman's right to
privacy and right to live her life as she sees fit supercedes the right to
life of a child growing in her womb. Yet, if a pregnant woman is assaulted,
and a child she was wanting to birth dies as a result, the person committing
the assault is guilty of murder (or manslaughter).
That's because an unborn child is not as interesting to the gov't as a
potential slave as one that is already born. Adding another category of
murder makes the gov't more powerful by justifyhing the gov't taking another
life, that of a murderer. Human sacrifice impresses the slaves.
Post by Storm Rider
If a theif breaks into my house, legally I must have a safe house for him to
break into. Otherwise, I am legally liable for any injuries he suffers
while trying to steal my property. (This is true, look up case-law on
this.) Morally, we believe that our property is ours to do with as we
please, and are outraged when we hear such things. Yet, this is a symptom
of a society that has abandoned its religious base for morality.
What case law? If you had any you would cite it here.
Post by Storm Rider
not such a thing governed by his right to privacy?
All these things reduce the power of the gov't and are therefore forbidden.
Gov't authority is above religious authority.
Post by Storm Rider
There are obviously things that we agree are wrong, and should have laws
designed to prevent. But when a person or society is picking and choosing
what they believe to be wrong, and claiming a certain authority for that to
be wrong, they cannot go back and deny that other claims by that authority
on what is right and wrong are invalid. To do so destroys the authority of
what they agree to be wrong.
Who cares what you and I think are wrong? Gov't rules.
Post by Storm Rider
Just something to consider while trying to preach God's eulogy.
God can't have an eulogy since there was never any. Still isn't. I won't ask
you to prove it, since you can't.
Freedom of thought entails no "Intellectual Property".
thomas p
2004-10-21 17:40:51 UTC
Post by Storm Rider
Here's something else to consider while trying to send God to the graveyard.
For all of it's perceived fallacies, religion still serves a purpose in
society. It provides the moral compass that society uses to determine right
from wrong. All law is based on some set of beliefs.
Not necessarily religious beliefs.
Post by Storm Rider
Murder, theft, rape, assault. These are understood by society to be not
only illegal, but morally repugnant. Why?
Because men have judged them to be so.
Post by Storm Rider
Is it not a statement of belief
to characterize these as evil?
Which can be based on objective criteria.
Post by Storm Rider
Are the ones commiting these acts not simply
exercising their freedom of expression?
And society is expressing its right to defend itself when it punishes
them.

snip
Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-20 11:59:43 UTC
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 04:57:40 +0000, Storm Rider wrote:

<snip>
Post by Storm Rider
However, I have read much about investigations into Biblical claims.
Even before the 1611 'authorized' translation into English, the claims
made by the Bible have been under scrutiny. Practically every statement
about the natural order, man's psychology, and social consequence for
behaviours has been examined, ridiculed, hated, scorned, and campaigned
against--but never proven false.
If you could scientifically and definitively prove just one statement
made by the God of the bible, or show one historical statement to be an
outright lie, then you would succeed in silencing Christianity
permanently.
No, sorry, you've simply decided to ignore how many times the bible has
been shown to be flat out wrong. You could *not make the above comments
unless you have rationalized away that the bible is seriously flawed,
riddled with contradictions, and makes some actually boneheaded remarks.

I cannot buy that you are being anything but disingenuous here.
-- Douglas Adams
thomas p
2004-10-21 17:40:52 UTC
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:59:43 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
Post by Ike
<snip>
Post by Storm Rider
[...]
I agree. The actual body of Jesus could be discovered and
Christianity would not go away for that reason. It is an irrational
belief system, so why should it react to objective evidence against
it?
Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-21 19:31:24 UTC
Post by thomas p
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:59:43 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
Post by Ike
<snip>
Post by Storm Rider
[...]
That's the truth. No matter *how many errors, contradictions, and
inaccuracies in the bible are shown, they keep babbling about how
consistent and perfect and accurate it is...
-- Douglas Adams
RainLover
2004-10-20 14:05:23 UTC
Post by Storm Rider
Show one false statement
that the Bible claims is true, and Christiantiy dies.
Eatting Shellfish is an Abomination.

Bats are Birds.

Rabbits chew their cud.

There's enough water on/in the earth to flood EVERYTHING (that's
29,000' for those keeping count)

There's a mountain you can climb and be able to see the ENTIRE earth.
(it's round the last time I checked)

Oh, you said ONE... sorry.

James, Seattle
Teresita
2004-10-21 03:48:51 UTC
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:05:23 -0700, RainLover
Post by RainLover
There's a mountain you can climb and be able to see the ENTIRE earth.
(it's round the last time I checked)
Also, the reverse would follow, that you can see this mountain from
any point on the earth, yet there are places in Indiana where it's
flat as a pool table and you can't see no damn mountain.

--
Teresita aka Ruby Redinger
http://web.newsguy.com/rubyred
stoney
2004-10-22 18:01:54 UTC
Post by RainLover
There's a mountain you can climb and be able to see the ENTIRE earth.
(it's round the last time I checked)
Also, the reverse would follow, that you can see this mountain from
any point on the earth, yet there are places in Indiana where it's
flat as a pool table and you can't see no damn mountain.
Congrads on Nova Sol.

And Duty Imp and Rapscallion
stoney
2004-10-20 15:11:10 UTC
Post by Storm Rider
Post by Liz
[-----]
Post by Liz
Post by Storm Rider
reasoning.
What denial? The lack of evidence means that there is nothing to
deny.
I'm quite willing to admit that the primary argument that God cannot be
scientifically measured is a valid one--to a point.
The g-o-d letter string is meaningless and provides zero information.
Post by Storm Rider
Science is, by
definition, the observation of the natural order. God, by the testimony
given, is not a PART of the natural order, but a supernatural being.
You are an uneducated fool.
Post by Storm Rider
Therefore, most expected scientific observations will not validate such an
existance.
However, and I'm sure I'll get shot at for this as well, since we cannot
physically measure the existence of this particular being, we must look to a
different discipline than natural science, which is primarily concerned with
present measurable and observable chriteria.
Not at all, moron. The process is quite straightforward and is,
hopefully, what you use in all other aspects of your meaningless
existence.
Post by Storm Rider
Instead, let us examine how History works.
{snip dishonest bait and switch plus whatever idiocy follows}

Mark K. Bilbo
2004-10-17 14:10:17 UTC
Post by Storm Rider
We are willing to kick any concept of a God we should
answer to to the curb because we don't agree with how He is running the
show.
No. We're willing to "kick to the curb" any concept for which there is no
supporting evidence.
-- Douglas Adams
Christopher A. Lee
2004-10-17 14:24:39 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:10:17 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
Post by Storm Rider
We are willing to kick any concept of a God we should
answer to to the curb because we don't agree with how He is running the
show.
No. We're willing to "kick to the curb" any concept for which there is no
supporting evidence.
It's the same mentality as the Taleban or the Iranian Ayatollahs who
executed people who didn't believe their twisted version, for "waging
war against God on Earth".

It is so central to their very being that they can't conceive of it
being merely a religious belief that only applies inside their
religion/denomination.
stoney
2004-10-18 05:05:00 UTC
Post by Mark K. Bilbo
Post by Storm Rider
We are willing to kick any concept of a God we should
answer to to the curb because we don't agree with how He is running the
show.
No. We're willing to "kick to the curb" any concept for which there is no
supporting evidence.
Nor a coherant definition for the key g-o-d letter string.

stoney
2004-10-18 04:17:15 UTC
Post by Storm Rider
Post by stoney
Post by Peter
What's next dear Socrates,
the immorality of the soul perhaps?
I have a suggestion for what could be next. You could actually read
what was said and respond to that instead of to your limited
collection of strawmen, or would that be too wild for you?
Peter already fouled his nappies.
What is it with these Christian?
They drool about 'doning the armour of the lord.' What is the usual
result? Ignorance, cowardice, unrepentant false witness, contempt,
lack of empathy, lack of compassion, lack of humanity and more.
Cursed armour indeed.
I find it facinating that people are willing to deny the existence of a God
Thank you for supporting my point, oh ignorant lying fuckwit
christian.

What is there to *deny,* oh fountain of ignorance?

(snip the same lying brainless drooling christian idiocy)

And (/contempt) these (/contempt) are not only encouraged to breed but
vote when they lack even a brain stem!

thomas p
2004-10-18 05:08:28 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:34:17 GMT, "Storm Rider" <***@b.c> wrote:
snip
Post by Storm Rider
[...]
I find it fascinating how many apologists for Christ have absolutely
no regard for the truth and feel the need to create their absurd
strawmen arguments.

snip

snip
stoney
2004-10-20 16:32:46 UTC
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:08:28 +0200, thomas p
Post by thomas p
snip
Post by Storm Rider
[...]
Especially when one of the "Prime Directives" forbids the 'bearing of
false witness.' But then, if they didn't bear false witness they'd
have no witness at all.

thomas p
2004-10-21 17:40:53 UTC
Post by stoney
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:08:28 +0200, thomas p
Post by thomas p
snip
Post by Storm Rider
[...]
Does this guy ever respond or does he just post his drivel and run
away?
stoney
2004-10-22 20:00:33 UTC
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:40:53 +0200, thomas p
Post by thomas p
Post by stoney
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:08:28 +0200, thomas p
Post by thomas p
snip
Post by Storm Rider
[...]
As far as I know, it drools then runs and comes back later with an
identity change.

coboldragon
2004-10-10 18:15:25 UTC
Apparently the whole point of my original post has been passed over merely
to incite more argument. I did not try to define anyone out of existence,
call anyone names, nor did I imply that anyone Christian or atheist was
better, most of which was done to me. I was trying to suggest that we could
carry on an intelligent discourse without the need for any of those things.
I do not look down on anyone because they do (or do not) hold different
beliefs. I personaly see them as a chance to learn both their rways and mine
to better degree. If any one would like to enter into such a discussion
fine, however i will not even justify anymore bickering or name calling
posts with a response.
Rune Børsjø
2004-10-10 18:37:44 UTC
So... what are you doing on usenet? :-)
Denis Loubet
2004-10-10 19:54:24 UTC
Post by coboldragon
Apparently the whole point of my original post has been passed over merely
to incite more argument. I did not try to define anyone out of existence,
call anyone names,
"Humans and other sub-species (the people to entranced
with their own self superiority to realize that it doesn't matter)"
--coboldragon
Post by coboldragon
If any one would like to enter into such a discussion
fine, however i will not even justify anymore bickering or name calling
posts with a response.
"Humans and other sub-species (the people to entranced
with their own self superiority to realize that it doesn't matter)"
--coboldragon

I think from the above that we are justified in applying a certain name to
you.

(Hint: It starts with hypo, and ends with crite)
--
Denis Loubet
***@io.com
http://www.io.com/~dloubet
coboldragon
2004-10-11 01:59:30 UTC
in this case I will reply because more than the name calling I feel that
this particular point was missed this statement was made both to the
hard-core you must disbelieve with me atheists and the Jesus crispies(you
must believe my way) I have as yet done little more than ask for
conversation and the response appears to be nothing but defensive Christian
bashing. I have as yet not told anyone that they should cease to be atheist.
I have even asked questions so that I may understand better, I quickly tire
of the need to defend myself simply to gain information.
http://www.io.com/~dloubet
Denis Loubet
2004-10-11 08:17:53 UTC
Post by coboldragon
in this case I will reply because more than the name calling
Who's name calling, yours?
Post by coboldragon
I feel that
this particular point was missed this statement was made both to the
hard-core you must disbelieve with me atheists and the Jesus crispies(you
must believe my way)
More name calling. This is supposed to establish what?
Post by coboldragon
I have as yet done little more than ask for
conversation and the response appears to be nothing but defensive Christian
bashing.
You have engaged in name calling, and attempted to tell people what they
believe.
Post by coboldragon
I have as yet not told anyone that they should cease to be atheist.
True, you attempted to define them out of existence.
Post by coboldragon
I have even asked questions so that I may understand better, I quickly tire
of the need to defend myself simply to gain information.
Well, we have here a person who engages in name calling, but complains when
others do it. If you don't want people to call you names, don't give them a
reason to.

Denis Loubet
***@io.com
http://www.io.com/~dloubet
Post by coboldragon
Post by Denis Loubet
Post by coboldragon
to incite more argument. I did not try to define anyone out of
existence,
Post by Denis Loubet
call anyone names,
http://www.io.com/~dloubet
Christopher A. Lee
Problem: there's nothing to discuss.
stoney
2004-10-16 11:28:43 UTC
Post by coboldragon
Apparently the whole point of my original post has been passed over merely
to incite more argument. I did not try to define anyone out of existence,
call anyone names, nor did I imply that anyone Christian or atheist was
better, most of which was done to me. I was trying to suggest that we could
carry on an intelligent discourse without the need for any of those things.
I do not look down on anyone because they do (or do not) hold different
beliefs. I personaly see them as a chance to learn both their rways and mine
to better degree. If any one would like to enter into such a discussion
fine, however i will not even justify anymore bickering or name calling
posts with a response.
Problem: there's nothing to discuss.
The mental toddler can't understand that.

Christopher A. Lee
Crazyalec
2004-10-18 00:35:20 UTC
Post by New10.
WHEN ARE YOU CHRISTIANS GOING TO GROW UP?
Did you ask muslims too?

By RAWYA RAGEH, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The most feared militant group in Iraq (news - web
sites), the movement of terror mastermind Abu Musab al-Zarqawi,
declared its allegiance to Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) on
Sunday, saying it had agreed with al-Qaida over strategy and the need
for unity against "the enemies of Islam."

"God soon blessed us with a resumption in communication, and the
dignified brothers in al-Qaida understood the strategy of Tawhid and
Jihad," the statement said.

The statement affirmed the "allegiance of Tawhid and Jihad's
leadership and soldiers to the chief of all fighters, Osama bin
Laden." It said the announcement had been timed for the start of the
Islamic holy month of Ramadan when "Muslims need more than ever to
stick together in the face of the religion's enemies."

"It's good tidings for our nation ... to spite the infidels and
frighten the enemies of Islam."